Monday, July 14, 2008

COON DAWG!




So where is my coon dog? Apparently I don't have one. We have been having a racoon sneak in through the cat door into our house at night. It comes in, eats all of the cat food, drinks all of the water, and grabs the cat food bag and tries to drag it back outside. So I borrowed a couple of traps from my brother in law. I set one up on the garage on Saturday night and Melissa and I went on a date. At about 11PM Kreed called me to say that the coon came into the house, opened one of the drawers in the kitchen and then went into the office and pulled a book off the shelf. Then the coon went into the garage and got stuck in the trap. Exactly what I wanted (however I have had these traps set up for over a month and the coon has kept on outsmarting me somehow).


When we pulled up that night, the coon was still trapped, but as soon as I got out of the car, it was so scared it peed all over. I didn't know their bladders were that big. Now folks, coons are cute, but size for size, they are as vicious as a bear. That sucker was trying to eat me through the cage. It was sticking its little hands out and grabbing my jeans and trying to bite me. Man that thing was ferocious.


Back to the dog comment. If you look in another post earlier in the year you will see our "coon dog". It is a little miniture pincher. I know it is not the biggest dog, but you would think it would at least want to protect its turf. Not so. I asked Kreed what "Charley" (our coon dog) did when the coon came inside. Kreed said that Charley came flying upstairs as fast as she could and then sat down and peed all over the floor. WHAT IS UP WITH THAT? Come on, really. What use is that dog then? Geez. Can't even utter a bark. And oh by the way, my blog title is misleading. THAT DOG CANNOT HUNT.




Well I have attached a couple of photos of the coon. It was a small one. The next day, yesterday, we drove it up further into the mountains and let it go. I was out of spray paint, but I was going to spray a yellow line down its back, in case it came back, so I would know we had caught it before...

5 comments:

Rachael said...

Man! I wish we had been there to see you catch the thing! That was probably pretty exciting for all the kids!!! I am surpised they left it along while you and Melissa were on your date...I would think that they would be trying to befriend it or something ;)

Anyways, good job! Maybe you can start a new business... Coon Hunters.

Love you, Rach

Kathy Frentheway said...

I was wondering when you would catch that critter. I am amazed it was brave enough to wander all over the house. Did it get into the kids snack drawer? That would have added insult to injury. I'm glad you took it back to the wild and didn't try to run it over with your ATV!!!. Love, Mom

Rivers to Rocks said...

way to go crocodile dundee!

Anonymous said...

Haha! Great story! (Hope you don't mind a random stranger dropping in to comment.) I completely agree with you about coons being mean, by the way. I've had some experience with them in the past and not only are they vicious and fearless when trapped, but they're also smart and extremely nimble with their hands. Hope he stays away and your cat food stays safe!

Anonymous said...

Can you help relocate wildlife ? brettforsyth@comcast.net